connecting time capsule 1tb to new MBP with ethernet cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flowdesigner, Dec 23, 2010.

1. flowdesigner macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a new 1 tb Time capsule that I connected with the macbook pro i7 with a ethernetcable in the ehternet outlet next to the usb on the time capsule.

However, I dont see the time capsule hard drive in the Macintosh HD devices.

Thanks

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The Time Capsule drive only mounts when Time Machine is doing a backup. Make sure that Time Machine is turned on in System Preferences.

3. Sifta macrumors newbie

Ethernet connection to a TC

If you want a networked drive rather than the normal WiFi backup / network extender then it can be somewhat tricky. Use airport utility after activating the hard reset (flashing orange) with the small rubber button at the right of the ports. Opt for a simple ethernet connected setup with no access to the internet and it should be fine. Be warned that once you assign an IP address with this set up it's difficult to reset the link to a new computer - I've tried unsuccessfully because i cannot cope with too many TLA's (three letter abbreviations) in the dialogue boxes that this entails.

I believe Time capsules are happiest as WiFi machines, not as hard-wired drives - though this is faster.