Connecting Time Capsule to public network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IamVolitant, Jan 31, 2010.

1. IamVolitant macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    So i searched everywhere i could to try and find an answer to this question, because i imagine at least someone on this planet is having this same problem, but i haven't found anything. so here i am, asking you:

Originally i had bought a Time Capsule 1TB and connected it to my internet modem and used it to create a network, then i had a AirPort express that i used solely for AirTunes to my stereo. So i had wireless backup for my MBP, N-Speed wireless internet for computer and iPhone and wireless music in my room, it was awesome.

but i just moved into a condo downtown that we are subleasing. The owner told me it had wifi so that was a selling point for me. but heres my problem, currently i have my TC and AirTunes on one network, for music and backups, but there is no ethernet connection in my condo, so i cannot directly connect it to the internet, so for internet i connect to the public wifi, and have to switch every time i want music in the living room, or want to back up., and i cant do either at the same time as i connect to the internet.

and i cannot extend the wifi in the building since it is not N. so i followed the instructions to connect my TC and AirPort to my existing WiFi, and to my knowledge, they will both connect as clients and be accessible all through my buildings WiFi. But, when i take them off their own network and connect them to the public wifi they just disappear and i have no way of finding them ever again through AirPort Utility unless i reset them.

so i was very troubled with this and it bothered me for ages, and i was just using 2 separate networks, but then i realized that every time a new client connects to the building's wifi it goes to a page where you must click 'ACCEPT" to the terms of use before having access to the network, so on my MBP i can open safari and click accept, but my TC and AirPort cannot click accept.

is this my problem? what do i need to do? can i connect for the first time to the network through ethernet from my MBP to the TC and turn off my wireless card in my mbp then click accept in safari on my mbp? or can i connect my mbp to the wifi and reset my MAC or IP address to the same as my TC or AirPort then click accept, that way the TC's and AirPort's IP and/or MAC are registered on the network and they can continue to connect without being asked to accept the ToU?

or am i even turned in the right direction? can someone help me out and walk me through this? i am fairly new to this type of networking thing, but i am researching as much as i can to see if i can make this work...
    P.S. eventually i will connect my wifi printer to the network :p bleh. but that will wait in its box til i can solve my first two problems, we don't want to complicate things...

Thanks,
    Josh

2. IamVolitant thread starter macrumors newbie