Connecting to 5GHz or 2,4GHz

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Narien, May 22, 2014.

1. Narien macrumors member

Hello!

I'm trying to force my mba to connect to the 5GHz band instead of 2,4GHz but can't find a way to do this.

I've found that the relevant network does in fact have both 5GHz and 2,4GHz broadcast. This was done with a phone running a network detector app.

However, they both have the same name and I have no control over the network so I can not change any network names.

Is it possible to force my mba to connect to 5GHz instead of 2,4GHz?

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue but I already new that with my router it was possible to unlink the two bands and create separate SSID's for each band.
    Once that was done I can choose which band to connect to.
    Does your router have this capability?

3. dyn macrumors 68030

You can't force it on a certain frequency. If the network uses both 5 and 2.4GHz it will pick up the one with the best signal. I've seen that OS X like Windows 8.1 favours 5GHz so it will pick that one first except when the 2.4GHz one has a much better signal.

4. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I have both and if you go to; Settings > Network > Advanced you can change the order of preferred networks.

5GHz for speed, 2.4GHz for range. Interfearance isn't a problem out in the countryside thankfully (still get fibre optic internet somehow :p).

5. Narien thread starter macrumors member

It is not my network, so changing the name of the 5 GHz network is not an potion.

Any change has to happen on my computer.

The tests we made (me and a friend) where that first we found that there was in fact a 5GHz band as well as the standard one using a network detector app.

Secondly, we did a speedtest with the phone (on 5GHz) and on a computer (with 2,4GHz).

The results where clearly in favor of 5GHz (which netted around 10Mb/s) compared to the 2,4GHz (which reached like 1Mb/s).

Since they both have the same name, I can't seem to differentiate them in that network table.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

One thing to keep in mind. Are you in the same room as the WiFi? 5GHz doesn't pass through walls as well or travel as long a distance as 2.4GHz.

7. dezmen macrumors member

I've used 5Ghz on my macbook pro 2008 year :D Basically you need to disable 802.11d, which downs your 5Ghz network ability.

8. dyn macrumors 68030

You fail to mention one very very important detail: you need to have 2 separate wifi networks (read: SSIDs): 1 operating at 2.4GHz and 1 operating at 5GHz. Most wifi routers/access points allow you to do this (in most cases there is an option to set a different SSID for the 5GHz network). In the OPs case this is not a solution since he cannot change the name of the network (read the first post carefully!).

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you are using a genuine dual band router then you can go into the router settings and DON'T use the same SSID on both frequencies. This way you can keep the two separate for yourself on others in the future.

Like what I did with my Time Capsule I gave my wireless a name and the 5 GHz the same name with (5 GHz) at the end of the name. I thought of using the Apple symbol  (option+shift+k) in the SSID name to stop mature hackers from getting on my network. ;)

Warning. In your 5 GHz network use the the channels in the 100s channel range to get the quickest N speeds (even higher for AC ranges).

10. wuush, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

wuush macrumors member

Did you even read his previous posts? he can't access the router...

Download iStumbler double click the Network with the high channel id.
    Should Work fine

Edit: Seems like this doesn't work anymore with iStumbler, if its iStumbler that doesn't let you change Network by double-clicking you could try other Wifi managing apps (but most cost money). If its mavericks preventing other apps from switching networks the only way is to go near the router so mavericks automatically changes to 5ghz cause of signal strength :(

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Oh then he wants us to help him hack into someones else's network!

12. dyn macrumors 68030

No, he wants you to read the topic first as do others here!

It's about switching from 2.4GHz to 5GHz because at 5GHz the performance is much better:
    What do you find unclear in those sentences?

13. Narien thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion wuush, too bad it didn't work.

@satcomer
    Not trying to hack any networks, but it sure would be handy to do it watch dog style!