connecting to a badly infected network...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patin22, Nov 27, 2007.

1. patin22 macrumors member

I'm helping out at a friend's office with about 15 PCs. Most are badly infected with spyware and viruses. There isn't a wireless connection so the only way I can connect my macbook is to directly plug into his network. How vulnerable am I to infections? Is the Mac truly immune to virus/spyware attacks? I've read that the Leopard firewall is pretty bad. Is there a third party app that might give me the security I need?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Pretty hopeless if the other computers are Windows machines.

I'd keep your services turned off under the Sharing preference pane.

3. 119576 Guest

Probably install an anti-virus if you're that worried.

Personally I wouldn't even connect. Haha

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Windows services and APIs on my OS X? :rolleyes:

5. patin22 thread starter macrumors member

They are all windows machines. My services are all turned off and the firewall is set to only allow essential services.

I've read so many conflicting articles about OS X security. Some say not to worry, others suggest firewalls and spyware/virus software. I just picked up my mac a month ago and I'm used to having protection software running on my PCs. Is it necessary for the Mac? Should I be worried about it at all?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I wouldn't worry to much. If you need to get on the network just make sure you have your services closed and the firewall up.... If you are that worried get yourself a Linsys Firewall/Router that will give you extra protection... But for the most parts even if you have everything wide open (and I do not recommend that you do this) chances are quite slim any of the junk on the windows network will hurt your Mac (Do not run windows via Bootcamp or Parallels though)

Macs are not immune to these things but they are much more resistant.

8. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I, too, wouldn't worry too much about it. Out of curiosity, why is it necessary for you to connect your computer to the network? Can work not be done on the computers locally?

9. Queso macrumors G4

So far there are a couple of trojans for the Mac and that's it. Windows viruses certainly aren't going to be able to infect the Mac, although you may have problems if you're sharing Microsoft Office documents.

The problem is that the software from the so-called security companies can actually weaken OSX security by opening extra networking holes and running their services as root. You can connect to the network and should be fine.

10. patin22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I want the computer there while I work because I need access to my software. I'm not sharing files or anything like that, I just want internet access for FTP.

I kind of figured that it would be safe, but I wanted to confirm. Plus it has always been something I've been curious about anyway.