Connecting to a NAS on Startup w/o opening Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tdmac, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tdmac macrumors 6502

My Itunes music is located on my Network NAS. So I have setup on startup to connect to that folder and have the password info sent from the keychain to make the connection. However, after the connection is made, it then opens finder on the screen and I think shows the newly connected folder on my NAS. Is there a way I can do this without the finder opening after making the connection. Trying to save the step of having to close finder each time :D. FYI, In system Preferences & startup there is no checkmark (not visible).

- Todd

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This started happening to me once I updated to 10.5.8 (even using the Combo update). It is a small problem I would like to find an answer to.

3. TechJPC macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with 4 NAS folders. It's really annoying and frustrating that I have to close 4 finders

4. TechJPC macrumors newbie

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I don't have an answer per se, but can you tell me how you set it to connect automatically on startup? I'd like to do this with my NAS also. Thanks!

6. tdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

First I added my server as a favorite.
    I then made sure that the password (if you have one) was added to the keychain. Although I think you can enter this this under the next step if you choose.
    Under system preferences and user accounts, (under the tab called login I believe) you can add the link to your server shortcut.

This will run the connection on startup.

The only reason I am doing this via startup is that I have my entire music collection stored on my raid 5 NAS. If you do not make the connection on startup and then go into itunes and try and play a song, you will get the exclamation point saying it can't find your songs. Also, if you downloaded songs, without connecting first to the NAS, it will put the music in your user name/music folder instead of the one you setup on the NAS, since you are not connected.