connecting to a router that's connected to a modem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark2288, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

Hiyo,
    I recently got a D-Link router and have it hooked up to my Verizon FIOS modem.

Internet -> Modem -> Router

How do I access the router to change its configuration settings? I tried 192.168.1.1 but that gave me access to the modem.

Thanks for the help!

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You sure you are looking at the modem when you put 192.168.1.1 in? The modem does not use those numbers.

3. ib4walrus macrumors regular

Did you check the the instructions manual tell you what to do or maybe the website's page on troubleshooting, etc?

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Since you're using FIOS, the modem either an ActionTec router or the actual ONT. Assuming it is the ActionTec router, it and the D-Link are both configured by default to be located at "192.168.1.1". As a result, the two IPs are conflicting and you will get undefined behavior. The easiest thing to do would be to disconnect the D-Link, change it's internal IP to something like 192,168.1.2 (anything except 192.168.1.1) and disable DHCP so that the ActionTec is responsible for handing out addresses. Once you perform these changes on the D-Link you can then reconnect it to the ActionTec without any problems and access it at the new IP you set.

5. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah cool. I'll try that. Since you seem to know a bit about FIOS, is there anyway I can hook up the D-Link directly to the ONT (I'm guessing this is that box Verizon puts in the house where the ethernet cable that plugs into the modem plugs into right?) so I can cut the Actiontec modem out of the picture?

6. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

The router I have is the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router in case that helps any.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

It depends on how you're currently setup. The ONT has terminals for both coaxial and twisted pair but many of the setups I've seen had the ActionTec using coax for the networking instead of the TP; you would have to run a new cable from the ONT to your router. You will then need to call Verizon and have them switch the connection from the coax to the TP connection. This all assumes are you only getting internet through Verizon; if you are getting TV also you cannot get rid of the ActionTec router completely without losing the guide and VOD.

Other than that, your router MAY need to support PPPoE (and you'll need the username/password); some of the setups I've seen use PPPoE, others simply grab a DHCP address directly from Verizon.

8. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

I have it setup with TP. Releasing the IP from the Actiontec and then hooking up the D-Link to the ONT directly did the trick. I semi-followed the isntructions here:

http://agaricdesign.com/note/how-setup-linksys-router-verizon-fios

Up to the part of releasing the IP address and doing it for Ethernet instead of Coax (since I'm using TP).

Thanks for the help!