Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I have a Qnap TS-431XeU NAS where I have several shares that can be connected over SMB, AFP or NFS. The NAS is connected to my Samba Active Directory DC. I have domain user that i use to access several of this shares on my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2019. Most of my shares can be accessed without any problems except for one. One of the shares will cause smbd on my mac to get stuck in a reconnect loop. The only way to make it unstuck is to disconnect the network, restart the mac, restart the nas or invalidate the kerberos ticket. There is no other way to force shutdown it. The following errors appear in the console:
Code:
smb_ntstatus_error_to_errno: Couldn't map ntstatus (0xc00000e5) to errno returning EIO
smb_fid_get_kernel_fid: No SMB 2/3 fid found for fid cb8557999bd07107

The funny thing is that the exact same share works perfectly fine if i use the administrator account on the NAS. The other funy thing is that the exact same share works perfectly fine if I connect with the same user over AFP. The share also works perfectly fine over SMB from my Windows-clients.

It should be mentioned that the share used to work perfectly fine earlier this year on my Mac also. The share definition is as follows:
Code:
[Filer]
comment = Fillagring for større filer.
path = /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Filer
browsable = yes
oplocks = yes
ftp write only = no
recycle bin = yes
recycle bin administrators only = no
qbox = no
timemachine = no
public = yes
invalid users = "guest"
read list =
write list = @"administrators","admin",@"SPEEDNET+Fillagring"
valid users = "root",@"administrators","admin",@"SPEEDNET+Fillagring"
inherit permissions = yes
shadow:showprevious = yes
shadow:snapdir = /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/_.share/Filer/.snapshot
shadow:basedir = /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Filer
shadow:sort = desc
shadow:format = @GMT-%Y.%m.%d-%H:%M:%S
smb encrypt = disabled
create time = 2020:05:04:14:15:06:53
strict allocate = yes
streams_depot:check_valid = yes
mangled names = yes
hide unreadable = no
access based share enum = no
admin users =
admin only =

I strongly suspect that there is a configuration issue or a cache that is wrong on either the Mac or the NAS. Both have recently been updated. I have tried to readd the share on the NAS, rejoined the NAS to the AD and reseted the mobile account linked to my domain user on the Mac. Nothing seems to make any difference. Any ideas about what I can try next?

Feel free to request more info if needed. Thanks in advance.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
What QNAP version are you running? And do you have home folders enabled?

I have a client who has seen similar issues, resolved rolling back the QNAP to 4.2.1.

• Love
Reactions: Superspeed500

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
What QNAP version are you running? And do you have home folders enabled?

I have a client who has seen similar issues, resolved rolling back the QNAP to 4.2.1.
Thanks :) I was on 4.4.2.1273. Downgrading to 4.3.6.1070 solved the issue for me at the moment. Yes I think I have home folders enabled as far as I know. Lets hope that a fix will be released to resolve this issue so we don't have to run old and potentially insecure versions of QTS.

Edit: The problem seems to be resolved in QTS 4.4.2.1302. I can connect to the share and browse my files just fine with that version. Thanks to QNAP for fixing the issue. Marking this as resolved.

Last edited:

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
Just installed the latest release (4.2.2 1302) released on the 12th and this seems to be working as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.