Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I've not owned a TV in almost a decade, but someone has gifted me some old Philips plasma tv. It's quite huge, I'm guessing 50"? It has DVI, VGA and those red/yellow/white holes in the back. I've tried the DVI but couldn't get a signal. I'm not sure if it's the tv or if I just have it connected wrong. There's no manual, there's a remote with MANY buttons but nobody knows how to use it.

Are there any cables or switches I could use to connect to the red/yellow/white holes?
There doesn't seem to be anything on the online Apple store for macs though there is one for the iPad.

I'm only intending to use it to watch movies (if it still works).

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I've not owned a TV in almost a decade, but someone has gifted me some old Philips plasma tv. It's quite huge, I'm guessing 50"? It has DVI, VGA and those red/yellow/white holes in the back. I've tried the DVI but couldn't get a signal. I'm not sure if it's the tv or if I just have it connected wrong. There's no manual, there's a remote with MANY buttons but nobody knows how to use it.

Are there any cables or switches I could use to connect to the red/yellow/white holes?
There doesn't seem to be anything on the online Apple store for macs though there is one for the iPad.

I'm only intending to use it to watch movies (if it still works).

The red and white are audio. Yellow is analog composite video. The Mac doesn't output that so forget it. There might be a digital to analog converter available that will work, but most won't work.

DVI or VGA are your best bets. You should search for a manual for that tv via Google.

donald.t

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Those colorful holes are for audio/video output.
Check online for VGA to HDMI convertor, it does work in many cases.

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
I would use VGA - however, does it have a separate audio in (like a heaphone plug socket)? Otherwise you'll get no sound via the telly, unless the red and white also act as input.

You can use composite if you can find the adapter (I had one years ago), but the picture will look pants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.