Connecting to a windows DMZ server?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Accel Junky, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Accel Junky macrumors newbie

I've looked high and low for the answer to this with no luck. I've mapped a lot of my windows network shares at work on my MacPro running leopard without problems. However, I'm extremely stuck trying to connect to the last one which is located on a special DMZ (demilitarized zone) server.

On my windows machine I simply use the \\ip method and I'm prompted for login credentials. It's important to note that the login credentials for this DMZ network share are different than my usual work domain login (the Mac uses that same login with no issues).

What I've tried to do so far is of course the smb:// protocol with the cmd-k window. However, I'm never prompted for login credentials and the credentials for all other shares that I've mapped to (and applied to my keychain) aren't correct for this one anyways.

This is what I have tried all resulting in a message stating that I cant connect and a follow up message stating my username or password may be incorrect:

smb://domain;ip/share
    smb://domain;username(colon)password@ip/share
    smb://username@ip/share
    smb://username(colon)password@ip/share
    smb://ip/share
    smb://ip/share -u user
    smb://ip/share user

Any ideas?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Traffic from your Mac to UDP port 137, UDP port 138 and TCP port 139 on the Windows PC all need to be permitted through the intervening firewall into the DMZ, and also make sure that the firewall is stateful (they nearly always are these days, but it's better to check).

If you have access to the firewall's logs they can normally give you a clue as to what's happening. If you're quite clued up with networking a major chunk of info can also be gained by using Wireshark on the Mac whilst you're attempting a connection. However, that needs a bit of techie knowledge on how to interpret the results.

3. Accel Junky thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll relay the port stuff to networking dept. and see if I can get any info from Wireshark while trying to connect in the meantime.

4. Accel Junky thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm all set now. I sent the port info to IT but I don't know if that is what did the trick because they asked for the IP on the mac and then gave it permissions to the DMZ. I think that is what did it. Why they didn't mention it before, I have no idea :)

Thanks for the help!

5. Queso macrumors G4

That's great. They must have already had a rule on the firewall that permitted those ports to the DMZ for some machines, and they've added your Mac's IP address to the list. Glad to have been of help :)

6. Accel Junky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I believe this is the first Apple machine on the network here. All sorts of new stuff to figure out but I'm very pleased so far.

The only catch is that this MacPro may be of only temporary use for me. I'm the web designer, and this was purchased for our graphics guy who is no longer with the company. They have been outsourcing since, but if they hire another they will get this computer.

That is why I mapped all of my shared resources including my pc desktop, c drive and my local website files (applescript to make sure they all get reconnected at login). I can basically do all of my work on the Mac while everything gets opened and saved from the PC local files and the QA and Production server files. So, if I have to give up the Mac I won't have to move everything back over.

This is the first time I've used a mac since the 90's lol

Can't wait to get a personal one. Probably a MacBook Pro. Would love for the revision to include an hdmi port.