Connecting to an unsecure wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Mar 5, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

What can I do on it? Am on my university's wifi and I've checked my email, uploaded a couple of pics to facebook, and logged onto here and facebook.

Is that alright? What else can I do on here?

2. trikky macrumors regular

If it's an unsecured wi-fi, you have already made available to other users your password for Email & Facebook - and if you've done any banking or other similar transactions, your bank login as well.

Having said that, wifi is an internet connection, so you can do whatever you want that you could normally do on an internet connection, although some functionality such as peer-to-peer file sharing, gaming, etc may be blocked by the router. If it is not truly public wifi and you're just using someone's unsecured connection, in some jurisdictions you care performing a criminal act.

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

Only if your email provider allows unencrypted logins (many do, but GMail and iCloud, for example, do not.)

Probably not, since Facebook login is SSL by default.

Definitely not, since every bank uses SSL.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Well, since it's the University you go to, make sure you read their WiFi/Internet usage policy to see what if anything is not allowed. Otherwise, it's whatever isn't blocked by the University hardware.