Connecting to HDTV (Toshiba 32")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kavyen, Jul 31, 2010.

1. kavyen macrumors newbie

I am trying to connect my Macbook Pro to my HDTV and am able to see the video just fine. The problem appears to be with the audio. I purchased the following cables and connected the mini display port to my laptop, I then connected one end of the HDMI cable to the mini display port and the other end to the HDMI2 port on the TV. When I select the input as HDMI2 on the TV I can see the audio just fine, the problem is with the video.

I went to the Apple store and purchased a Belkin Y adapter cable, and one end of the cable is connected to my laptop's headfone outlet.. The other end needs to go to my TV and I am unable to figure out where this should go as the HDMI2 ports do not have a separate audio-in ports. Please advice. I am running out of ideas and spend the whole damn day trying to get this thing working...

Attached Files:

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I thought the HDMI port carried audio as well as video. I presume the mini display port lacks this ability even when "converted" to HDMI hence the lack of audio?
    I will be hooking up my new MBP to my HDTV using the cable setup you have described except I will take the audio from the jack and plug it into my surround sound amp directly.

This soloution would only work if you are using a seperate amp though.

HDMI out is the only thing I`ll miss on my Compaq!

3. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Amazon Search

As far as I know, the MDP will not support audio, at least my '09 MBP doesn't. But you can get an adapter that will carry it from a USB port. There are several options on Amazon link provided above.

That would probably be your easiest route.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The 2010 models do support audio over mini displayport, but the poster never said what model he/she has nor have he/she made it clear what exactly is going on. Are you missing video or audio?

5. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

First two sentences, but yes, we would need to know what year/model we are dealing with

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Did you read the last sentence of the first paragraph? Okay now answer the questions. It really is difficult to understand what the exact problem is.

7. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

I see the confusion there, pretty sure that the op just mixed them, otherwise I'm in the same boat as you

8. fg3art macrumors newbie

trouble conecting my macbook pro to a toshiba hdtv

I have the male to female mini displayport to hdmi adapter and the hdmi cable.... connected into to mabook pro and into the hdmi 1 in the back of the toshiba... turn them both on and click the input button on the toshiba remote and I switched to hdmi 1.... nothing.... what am i missing???? so frustrated... please help:confused:

9. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Go into audio midi setting in utilities, change it to 48000Hz at 16 bit with the HDMI option selected. That fixed my issues with audio through HDMI with my Toshiba TV.