Connecting to HDTV via VGA - resolution issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allanibanez, Oct 4, 2009.

1. allanibanez macrumors regular

When i connect my hdtv to my mbp via vga (using mini displayport vga adapter) I am only achieving a 1080i signal. I did some research and I found that there are two 1080 resolution options in leopard, one being 1080i and the other being 1080p, you simply have to turn the display options on in the menu bar and then select the one you wish to use. With this new found knowledge i found the two resolution options and tried them however, I found that one of the 1080 resolution options outputted 1080i whilst the other outputted 1050, despite clearly saying 1080. This has me baffled!

Is this due to me using a vga cable and has anyone had similar issues? Additionally, is it possible to achieve a 1080p signal from a mbp? Mine is the late 08 model if that makes a difference.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. davwin macrumors regular

This sounds like an issue on the display itself and not the MacBook Pro. No way to be sure without testing it of course but, we did run into a similiar problem at my office when connecting MBP's to Toshiba LCD HDTV's at 1080. We found that the pixel count was only 1900x1038 or some weird number like that but, they are classified as a 1080i/p LCD. It wasn't an issue for us when we used HDMI but, when using miniDisplyPort>VGA output we could only set it to 720p/1080i or to the actual pixel density at 1900x1038. For these displays, Toshiba told us those were the only supported resolutions on the VGA input and we would need to use one of the supported modes or switch to an alternate input.

If your issue is the same type of problem then I'd guess you'll have to go miniDP to HDMI or use a different input/output. If nothing else, try using a miniDP>HDMI adapter and see if you have the same problem.