Connecting to home network from another network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jab.forburns, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jab.forburns macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am currently at college and using there internet is awful. Literally everything is blocked including google images. The only thing i know it doesn't block is p2p (as i know it can be hard to block).

So i was wondering is there any way i can connect to my home network threw the colleges network. This way any traffic that comes in is just coming from my home network.

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You may want to verify it isn't against any school policy, but if the VPN ports aren't blocked then you could VPN into your home network via a VPN that you configure at home, or possibly remote into a computer at home to browse that way.

3. jab.forburns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for a quick reply!

I've never heard of VPN before? How exactly would i set this up?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds like you need something like ShareTool. It claims to get through firewalls easily.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think you are going to find that your College has blocked the path to VPN..It wouldn't make sense to leave that hole open when they are super careful about everything else.

6. jab.forburns thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there any way to do it for free? Set up a VPN on my home network and connect to it?