Connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Joxley, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Joxley macrumors newbie

Hi there.

Got my first macbook yesterday, but I am struggling to connect it to my internet. My ADSL router that I use with the PC has a USB, not ethernet, connection to the computer, so I think this may be where the problem lies.I have tried installing the software that came with the router to the mac, but it didn't work. Do I need to buy a new router with either ethernet output/wireless or is there something I'm missing?

Very grateful for any help you can give me.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you running Leopard? Also what model is the modem?

Unfortunately I believe modem software is usually OS X version specific so you'll probably need a special version for whichever version of OS X you are running.

Any ethernet router (and ADSL device with only USB is generally called an ADSL modem rather than a router) should work straight away pretty quickly though, so that may be an easier solution.

3. Joxley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yes I am running leopard and the modem is Sagen Fast 800. I'm trying to find an updated driver to download now, but if that fails I'll probably jsut go with the new router.

4. Joxley thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've tried with an updated driver, but it still complains it cannot find "Internetconnect.app", any ideas?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think theres a bug, there used to be an application called Internet Connect with Tiger, but Leopard doesn't have it, at least by default.