Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigooner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
my sister has an iphone 4, on ios 4.2.1 i think!! she hasnt even connected her iphone to her laptop since she bought it!!!

anyway, i have shown her the features of ios 6 online, and have offered to update it for her. the thing is , i dont wana mess this up, what is the best way of doing it without losing any of her contacts, apps, music, photos etc???

when i did mine, i lost half of my photos.

is it just a matter of updating her itunes software on the laptop, and THEN clicking 'backup' on itunes and then updating software on the iphone?

or is there something else that should be done?
how do i know everything is backed up?

thanks alot for your help guys :)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
No. Back up the phone first, before updating anything. Then check for updates, update iTunes, then install iOS 6.

Always always always back up the phone first. I don't care what anyone says, that's the safer way to go.

sigooner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
thanks for your reply. is there a way of checking everything has been backed up? eg photos, contacts, apps etc onto itunes before updating ios?

all i do usually to backup is go on the name of the iphone on itunes, and then 'backup' thats it isnt it? there is no other way of backing up is there?

and then i just restore right??

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.