Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallenapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
I have an apple iBook G4. Wife has a dell notebook. Bought a linksys wi-fi router. Was told that there should be no problem with the G4 connecting to the router. However, I am getting a message that says the password is invalid. Apple's support docs say that it should work since I have the newest or closest too version of OS X...bought computer in December of 2005.

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't the G4 support WPA personal or do I need to set up the router to WEP? :confused: :confused: Very confused and frustrated that the windows world is winning this battle..... uuugggghhhhhh. Damn Cisco.:mad:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm almost positive that the non-extreme airports (which is what I think you have) support WPA-Personal. I'm believe you need to have a fairly new firmware version. Check if there is a firmware upgrade for your card.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
fallenapple said:
I have an apple iBook G4. Wife has a dell notebook. Bought a linksys wi-fi router. Was told that there should be no problem with the G4 connecting to the router. However, I am getting a message that says the password is invalid. Apple's support docs say that it should work since I have the newest or closest too version of OS X...bought computer in December of 2005.

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't the G4 support WPA personal or do I need to set up the router to WEP? :confused: :confused: Very confused and frustrated that the windows world is winning this battle..... uuugggghhhhhh. Damn Cisco.:mad:

go to this link

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/158521/
and see what I was told to do.

I used WEP and use the key the linksys web site provided for me. The second post is the most useful but there may be info later on to help as well. Should be easy but there is always some little thing that can throw off tech. Just so you know, I have never had a connection problem once I got it set up- running very smooth right now with three G4 Macs.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I guess you can try WEP, but there's no reason the G4 shouldn't support WPA. I use WPA and it works fine with PCs and Macs connected to my Linksys WRT54G.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not sure about WPA, but with WEP, there's no standard treatment for translating text WEP passwords into hex, so every OS does it differently. Try turning WEP off, and see if you can connect. Then you will need to obtain the hex translation of your router's WEP network password. I know how this is done with the Airport base stations and Apple's admin software, but not for a Linksys router. Must be one, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.