Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Really struggling with this. I have a linux box (Ubuntu 20) and cannot reach it. I enter:

smb://its.computer.name

From Finder > Go > Connect to Server, I get prompted for my user name and password, which I am certain are correct because I can reach it via ssh from the Terminal app. Yet, when I enter the username and password, the login box shakes like I've entered the wrong credentials. Is there an easy way to mount the linux drives on my Mac?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
From Finder > Go > Connect to Server, I get prompted for my user name and password, which I am certain are correct because I can reach it via ssh from the Terminal app.
Samba shares and Linux users don't necessarily have the same passwords. That is only the case when you enable password synchronization.

Reactions: bobcomer

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
You're connecting the right way, the box shaking means you've entered the wrong username and/or password. So either you need to activate password synchronization in the smb.conf file or you need to create a unix user (you already have one as it seems) and then set the password for that user (again!) with smbpasswd instead of passwd. Once you've done that, make sure the user is added as a valid user to the smb.conf file. Otherwise, your user will not have access to the share, even if the login via ssh works.

Reactions: iAssimilated
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.