Connecting to low-pref unsecured network before high-pref secured network

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thelatinist, Oct 19, 2013.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

At work there are two separate WiFi networks: a secured network with hidden SSID to which I regularly connect for Internet access and an unsecured network with broadcast SSID to which I occasionally need to connect in order to print documents to a networked printer. I have both of these networks remembered in Preferred Networks, with the secured network listed at the top of the list and the unsecured network listed last.

The problem I have is that my Late 2008 (Penryn) MacBook consistently connects to the unsecured lowest-priority network instead of the secured highest-priority network.

Help?

2. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

Could you be more specific? How is a VPN going to prevent my computer from connecting to the unsecured wireless network instead of my preferred, secured network?

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sorry I posted this because i several tabs opened up at once.

Use the Advanced button in network to delete the known network you don't want to connect to. Plus start use Network/Location' button for each time you want to connect to a deferent network using different location s for each are you want to connect to.