Resolved Connecting to maclegion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by myotis, Sep 14, 2011.

1. myotis, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

myotis macrumors member

I cannot connect to Maclegion with my MacBook pro (Snow leopard) which persistently timed out with a "could connect" or "server not responding" message. Using Safari, Firefox and chrome.

The MacBook Air(Lion) and iPad, on the same wireless network, and physically sat beside the MacBook Pro, connect without any problem.

Has anyone any idea of why this might be happening. I have no problems with any other sites on the MacBook Pro.

Thanks,

Graham

2. murlyn macrumors newbie

It is because the IP address changed as they moved to a new server and so the DNS cache on your one computer was still seeing the old server IP address while your other computers were seeing the new IP address.

3. myotis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this, a google search suggests running

dscacheutil -flushcache

from terminal.

I've done this and its made no difference, can you suggest what else I need to do. I have shutdown and restarted the browser, but not re-booted the Mac.

Graham

4. murlyn macrumors newbie

The only thing you can really do is wait for your ISP to update their DNS so that your DNS is updated. There are a couple workarounds, but they are temporary and you should revert at some point.

1) update your hosts file
    2) change your DNS provider

Although if your other computers are on the same network and the same ISP then it's possible that your browser is caching the page and you could try to hold down shift and then refresh your browser.

You can find out what IP address your computer thinks MacLegion is using by opening up the terminal and then typing "ping maclegion.com" and then you'll see which IP address it sees. If it starts with a 5, then you see the old server, if it starts with a 1 then it is the new server.

5. myotis thread starter macrumors member

Both computers were on the same network and isp, clearing the cache on all three browsers that I tried made no difference, and pinging still gave the old web site but I then reran

dscacheutil -flushcache in the terminal.

This made difference the first time, but now that I had cleared the caches in the browsers, it worked. Ping gave me a DNS beginning with 1 and the browsers were working.

Many thanks for this, I would have never ever figured that out on my own.

Graham

6. murlyn macrumors newbie

Wahoo! Great to hear! Thanks for letting me know what you did that worked also! :)