Connecting to my PC over wireless: Why is it so random?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swift Sketcher, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I have my PC set up so that I can wirelessly drop files from my MBP into my PC's shared folders at any given time. However, my MBP only seems to detect my PC's wireless signal at free will. Sometimes I need to connect to my PC, but the mac won't connect no matter how long I wait. Other times, it will just appear normally. This is from the same location. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. How can I guarantee that my MBP wirelessly picks up my PC every time?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Windows XP is uber-insane when it comes to networking. I can't do squat between computers on the network. It's literally like doing brain surgery. I just use a 2GB flash drive and say curse words at the PC.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's funny the number of times that people on this forum blame Windows gear for their own fault/ignorance or in terms of internetworking, OS X / Mac issues.

The MBP has crap wireless. Especially in an internetworking situation. OS X (especially Leopard) has suspect networking. I'm sorry, but it's a fact. Try and work around it - different routers (or if it's a desktop in infrastructure mode, a different WLAN adapters), especially MIMO routers such as the Airport Extreme or the latest Belkin / Linksys routers, etc can help.

4. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

I had similar issues as the OP, but a new router (in my case a WRT350N running DD-WRT) completely solved the problem and my wireless network is 100% better.

I think wireless on the MBP is great; most issues with a wireless network stem from the router, poor placement of the router, or other clients with poor/buggy/old wireless NICs.