Connecting to my Samsung 1080p HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nadrekab, Mar 5, 2009.

1. nadrekab macrumors newbie

Let me start off by apologizing if this has been covered already.

I recently bought an older model MacBook Pro, the previous generation with Mac OS X 10.5.6. I also have a 40" Samsung 1080p 120Hz TV, model LN-T4069F.

Anyway, I tried connecting the two with a DVI-VGA setup, and I'm trying to get a 1080p signal out of my Mac. It's not working. When I try to select 1900x1080 for the resolution of my TV on the computer, the TV goes blank and says "Searching for signal" or something like that.

I want my TV to be a 2nd/continuous monitor, so I can put icons on it and scroll from my MBP to it. I am a broadcasting major and like to use ProTools on 2 screens.

In a roundabout way, is there any way to get a 1080p signal and have 2 monitors?

2. belvdr macrumors 601

3. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Just get a DVI-HDMI cable. They are pretty cheap.

4. sal macrumors 6502

as mentioned, the right way to do it is getting a dvi to hdmi cable. you get a higher quality signal than plugging in through a dvi-VGA cable. And it's cheap, so you can't go wrong.

I might also add this since I ran into this problem and most likely you'll have it too and you'll be scratching your head how to figure it out.

Go into your display settings and select "show displays in menu bar"

then from the menu bar, select the option 1920x1080 60hz.

You have to follow these steps because you don't get the 1920x1080 60hz option in the display settings, you get a 1920x1080(interlaced) option. interlaced looks like crap. you gotta change this from the menu bar.

(screen capture below)

[​IMG]

5. nadrekab thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why dont you try connecting the two with a DVI->HDMI cable?? works MUCH better and its a digital connection :)

thats what i do :)