Connecting to my school's WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Topper59, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Topper59 macrumors member

Ok, my school has 2 WiFi networks, one called "student" and one "teacher" (yep) theres also one called VOIP, which is Voice over internet. All of them are WEP.
    So, the student is for student computers and teacher for teachers. I tried connecting to the student using different passwords, I found that any students ID number would get you connected. So, I entered mine in, and I hit Join, then, it says that im connected to it. (theres a checkmark and in settings it says student under wifi)
    BUT, when I go to safari, it says "Safari can't open the page" .... nor can facebook or anything else connect.

Is there a reason for it? or is there a way to get it to work? Can i connect to the VOIP network somehow?

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is it a static IP?

If you are connected to the network, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get online. Unless there is an IP or DNS issue.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

In your iPod settings, go to Wi-Fi. Click on the blue > next to the name of the network you're connected to. That should reveal information that your iPod is getting from the network, like the IP address, subnet mask, router IP, and DNS servers. The three tabs DHCP, BootP, and Static will reveal some additional info. Unless you're getting a 169.254.x.x address you should typically be connecting to the internet.

4. Cameron08 macrumors member

A web only requires X amount of charactors. Like on mine my WPA key is "mymommasaidso" so if someone was trying to connect they could just put in 13 characters of anything any it would ssay connected, however, since they did not put in "mymommasaidso" they are not going to get any internet. So method goes in your case. Although just some random letters and numbers let you connect, does not mean your wireless device is going to get any packets.

Hope this helps,
    Cameron

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Screwing trying passphrases; it's WEP, just… on second though, if they don't want you to access it don't bother.

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

SAY IT!!

7. Topper59 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies,

@r.j.s: I'm not sure if it is static or not, i'll try to find out
    @JediMeister: I'll take some screenshots at school tomorrow of all the settings and stuff, that might help
    @Cameron08: You might be right, all ID #'s are 5 digits, so I'll try random 5 digit keys
    @alphaod: I would crack the network, only I don't have a laptop to bring and crack it haha

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

The school won't give the information he wants.

Try asking the IT guys directly. They are usually pretty cool to let you connect like that, if they aren't... Then ti's time to crack!

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

haha, thats wut i go by. if they don't give me the admin password... OPHcrack it is!

11. Topper59 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, i got some more info.

So today, I tried connecting with my ID number again. It wouldn't let me connect. Tried my friend's, still wouldn't let me. So now im a step back! haha. The weird thing is. After about 5 minutes of trying to connect. No networks would show up. Not even when i got home. I tried connecting to my home network but it didn't connect! So i rebooted and everything worked fine. Here are some screenshots:

WiFiTrak detecting the networks: (2 Days ago)
    [​IMG]

After 5 mins, i couldnt detect anything in wifitrak or settings: (Today)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Svjustin macrumors newbie

Proxy Info

Dude most likely its something to do with the server your district uses to access the internet. Depending on whether or not its an inline device you may have to manually enter proxy information in you wireless device in order to access the internet. But that wont matter if u cant get wifi anymore.