Connecting to my Windows work network from my Mac at home

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghayes13, May 16, 2008.

1. ghayes13 macrumors newbie

I used to connect to my office network using a VPN connection, but that's no longer available and my IT people don't support Macs. Cretins. ;) Most of my work is saved in a shared folder on our network and NOT on my PC.

I know how to connect to the PC directly, but I'm not comfortable leaving my PC up and running while I'm not in the office. I've received instructions on how to remotely connect to the share from a PC, but I can't figure out how to translate those instructions into Macspeak. Can anyone help?

2. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Hi
    What were the instructions exactly? That may be a good starting point for translation, lol ;)

3. ghayes13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol

An excellent point, of course. The instructions were:

Email the share's desktop shortcut it to yourself or get the path (Right-click and go to properties) and recreate it on your home PC. However to get it to resolve by name you must add it to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (for XP) or
    C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (for 2000). Open the file in Notepad and add the IP address ##.##.###.## with the alias. Then save the file back to that same directory.

4. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Ah, I regretably inform you that I have no idea how to translate that into Macspeak :(
    I did, however, unearth this, this and this in particular if they are of any use to you at all :)
    Sorry I can't be much more help, but I don't tend to deal with VPN's

5. ghayes13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, the problem is that I can no longer get to my office network via VPN. I would have to connect directly, over the internet. That's what these instructions were designed to do, I think.

6. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Sorry, my mistake, lol
    Unfortunately, I can't think of any way you can do this without both computers being on, sorry :confused:
    Unless you can leave your Mac on at home and FTP whatever it is you need to it before you leave the office, then copy them back across using the PC again the next time you need them?
    Sorry I can't be of any more help :(

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

the /etc/hosts file has to be changed, adding the IP and hostname that you were provided. Windows follows networking standards here, other than burying the hosts file so deep.

Other than opening a Terminal session and VI'ing the file, or view the system hidden files to edit directly in TextEdit, I don't have a simpler answer. Network Prefs doesn't allow editing of the hosts file, nor does MacPilot give access to it.