Connecting to remote Macs and Windows and OSX machines

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pkiula, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pkiula macrumors member

Hi. I use an iMac 24 inch, 4GB RAM, the latest Leopard 10.5.4.

I would like to connect to two machines for friends:

1. One is a Mac Book Pro. This connection would be from mac to mac, so I hope this is easy? A google search for remote desktop etc keeps bringing up the RDC from Mactopia (Microsoft). Is it possible to connect between two macs that are not on the same LAN or whatever, but on either side of the atlantic? How would I make sure our firewalls played along?

2. Same thing, but on Windows machine. Destination machine is xp pro. Firewall is zonealarm. Can I connect to it and do things on its desktop like I did on windows with "remote assistance"?

Thanks for any advice or pointers!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

For the Windows one maybe Microsoft's RDC?

For Mac try Back to my Mac in Leopard?

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

you will want a VNC client app for the mac you want to connect to all these computers

-since macs have build in VNC servers you can just turn that on in systemprefs

-on windows will need to install a VNC server app
    that is all you need to remote into macs and windows

look at this http://www.tightvnc.com/

4. pkiula thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for RDC. I would like to try it. But I don't know what to put in there. It comes up with a small window -- does the destination machine's IP address go in there?

As for "Back to my Mac", that seems to require a .Mac account. Neither of us have a .Mac account. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks. Where in System Prefs can I enable vnc? Searching did not bring up anything.

TightVNC sounds good for Windows. Thanks! Could I have VNC on my osx here and my friend on Windows be running tightvnc and I could see their desktop?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

System Preferences / Sharing
    Apple Remote Desktop

6. pkiula thread starter macrumors member

I dont see Apple Remote Desktop. I see Remote Login and Remote Mangement. Are these not enough? How can I install ARD?

Also, my IP address is listed as 192.168.... how should I find the real IP address to which someone from elsewhere can connect?

Thanks

7. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Funnily enough I just posted a question on a piece of software that allows you to see you Mac on other people's computers and for them to see yours.

Just tried it and it works Mac to Mac.

Found it here:

http://www.fromconcentratesoftware.com/Share/

but there's little documentation and I wonder how secure it all is?

Any ideas?

8. pkiula thread starter macrumors member

Wow, it works with Vine Server on their side, and I use chicken vnc. Great stuff!

Now, will try with tightvnc on windows. But thanks somuch guys!