Connecting to server - dialogue box won't disappear

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redeye be, May 9, 2007.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Hey all,

I'm running 10.4.9 on a PPC, all recent updates performed.
    I have the feeling the problem surfaced after doing the latest security update. I'm not 100% sure though.

Whenever I connect to a (samba) share, the progression bar dialogue box just won't disappear. You know, the one saying "Connecting To Server".
    The connection itself works without a problem.
    When I disconnect and reconnect, it shows me two of those progression bars, progressing away in some networked void.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Cheers

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not for me. Is it happening in all user accounts?

3. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

I tried it in a different user account, where it would just hang... I admit I didn't give it much time.
    I logged back in to my regular account and...

fixed

mad jew mojo

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. joshnerl macrumors newbie

Similar problem

I'm not having trouble with status bars, but I am having a weird problem with mounted network drives that I'm assuming are SAMBA. For simplicity's sake, I have 2 mounts that I have set to happen when I boot up - one to an XP shared drive (share name "C") and one to a NAS device (share name "NAS1") on my home network. Long story short, about 2 months ago, the NAS1 stopped showing up in Finder. I'm going to hack up the terminology here trying to explain this, but I can use the menus to "Go to server..." and connect to it and even get a finder window for the share. However, when I go and open a new finder window, the NAS1 doesn't show up as a mounted drive, but C does - even as I navigate NAS1 in the other open Finder window. Now it's just an annoyance, but as my iPhoto and iTunes libraries were on the NAS - when I did have problems with it auto-connecting, it wreaked havoc for about a week. I was adding things to both libraries thinking that they were going to the NAS and they were going to the local machine.

As a result, I have another post out on the boards on how to safely setup the Mac so I can keep everything local, but easily backed up. If anyone has ideas please look for it.

6. mellowiz macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problem (Mac OS X 10.4.11 on PPC G4) while connecting to two Samba shares I've set up.

This randomly happens but dialogue box "Connecting To Server" may hang in there forever. smb connection works though and it even appears in Finder windows.

The only way to get rid of the "barber's shop bar" is to Force Quit Finder.
    I've monitored /var/log/system.log but I can see no relevant messages in it.

Anybody has found the root cause?

7. ChainOfOblivion macrumors newbie

Quick Fix

I haven't the slightest clue how/why this happens, but I've found a quick, easy solution:

1. Go to Finer
    2. Click the Apple Menu icon
    3. Hold the Shift key
    4. "Force Quit..." changes to "Force Quit Finder"
    Note: This will force quit AND restart Finder, which will immediately get rid of the "Connecting to server" dialog box.
    5. Voilà