Connecting to someone else's wifi and keyboard backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Feb 11, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Hey there. So I'm currently away for the weekend staying in someone's cottage and they have Wifi. It's passworded, so secure, so am wondering how safe it is connecting my Mac to it? File safety etc.

Also, my keyboard backlight is turned off, and when I try to higher the brightness, a circle with a line through appears not letting me brighten the light. How do I fix this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's as safe as any other computer connected to the internet.

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If the network is secure and you have the password then your files would be safe. Since it isn't your home network I would not recommend do anything sensitive like personal banking or entering your SSN anywhere. However for web surfing and email you will be fine. Second go to system settings and click on keyboard, at the top make sure its on keyboard then you will see a box that says illuminate in low light make sure its checked.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sometimes it won't let you brighten the backlight because the ambient light sensor suggests that the room you are in is bright enough.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I believe you can override this if you turn off the sensor. Under Keyboard in System Preferences, turn off the "Automatically illuminate keyboard..." option.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The Wi-Fi is perfectly secure, you're in a private house and it's password protected. And if you're asking about it on a forum, you don't own files that are important enough for people to try and hack you anyway. I don't get why people are so scared of being hacked, life isn't a movie.

The room you're in is too bright, the ambient light sensor is telling your keyboard it doesn't need to be on.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

yes that is correct!

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hooray conflict! SL2008 is correct, Medic is not. If that box is checked, the Mac will only allow the backlight to come on when it thinks the room is dark enough. Personally, I just uncheck the box, turn it all the way up, and leave it on all the time. It still turns off after 30 seconds without use so it doesn't burn up the LEDs.