Connecting To Television DL-DVI or DVI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmorris1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dmorris1 macrumors newbie

I just got the new macbook pro and got the Dual Link DVI converter with it. I am trying to connect it to my Philips 32pfl3514d television. I am converting the DVI to HDMI and am then routing it into the televisions "PC Input"(Which is basically an HDMI input). The problem is that I cannot get the image to display on the tv at all. I've set the resolution to 1360X768 and the refresh to 60 Hz(on the computer) and am mirroring the displays. If I try to go in through a standard HDMI input it will display format not supported on the television(occasionally...). I called philips and the guy clearly had no idea what he was talking about.

I have tried to hook it up on a different television and it connects fine. Which leads me to ask do I need to get the mini-dvi to regular DVI converter rather than the Dual Link DVI? could that be causing the problem?

any help would be appreciated

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, unless you have a Cinema 4k or Super Hi-Vision TV, you'll only need the single-link DVI. :)

You could always get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable from Monoprice.com.

3. dmorris1 thread starter macrumors newbie

But would that be the error using dual link rather than single link

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI converter has had its fair share of issues, but they were reportedly fixed with an update several months back.

Now, I've seen recent reports that some of the new model MacBook Pros have still had problems with the adapter, and I don't know if it is the adapter that is at fault (very probably) or the computers themselves (I don't want to think that), but hey.

It sounds plausible that the adapter is what is causing the problem. Fortunately, the Monoprice alternative is quite inexpensive and it cuts out the DVI middle man.

If anyone else can shed some light that wouldn't result in having to purchase a new dongle, of course share, but the fewer port conversions the better. Good luck!

5. dmorris1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interestingly when i plug in my PC, it works. So I think because the fancy Dual-Link dvi converter has a built in graphics card(at the very least an accelerator) it is confusing the TV. Tomorrow i will purchase the regular DVI cable and see the results.

6. dmorris1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tallest Skil. I really appreciate your help. As you can see from my post above I also believe its the converter. Unfortunately I've already sunk money into the dvi to hdmi cable so im just going to get the standard single link converter.

7. dmorris1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to post a follow update. It was in fact the dual link converter. I switched over to the single link dvi and it now works perfectly on my tv. So the problem was the graphics card in the converter playing monkey in the middle with the signal.