Connecting to the internet via your iPhone's Edge connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanAgee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Hey all,

Is it possible to somehow connect a MacBook Pro to your iPhone and use your iPhone's EDGE connection to connect to the internet?

2. McGiord, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Thanks, don't want to jailbreak the phone though. Maybe something will come along once the SDK has been released.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

no, because it violates AT&T's terms of use on the data plan.

5. yayaba macrumors 6502

It's a pain in the ass even using the unofficial methods that people have created. I could only get it to work half the time and some pages would just timeout even when it was working.

If you want to tether, I'd recommend just getting a simple phone (preferably with 3G) and take out the SIM card of the iPhone and pop it into your other phone. That's what I do.

fyi, the phone I have is a LG CU500 w/ HSDPA and I tether it over Bluetooth to my Macbook. I get speeds around 600kpbs (capped by Bluetooth though, if I tether with USB it'd prob be 1.0+mbps) with latency around 120ms. Works awesome. Once I'm done I just take it out of the LG, pop it back into the iPhone, and I'm back in business.

Warning though to not abuse the tethering. As sr5878 pointed out, it's not really legal to do this but as long as you keep the data usage down it should be ok.