Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lemondropcr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Hello

Can anyone offer any advice on the following please?

We have an early 2015 macbook with one usb c socket.

We would like to connect this to a 2013 Thunderbolt display.

What we are unsure of is that if this is possible which adapter would be required? Ideally one that also has a socket for the usb c charger?

Any advice much appreciated.

David

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello

Can anyone offer any advice on the following please?

We have an early 2015 macbook with one usb c socket.

We would like to connect this to a 2013 Thunderbolt display.

What we are unsure of is that if this is possible which adapter would be required? Ideally one that also has a socket for the usb c charger?

Any advice much appreciated.

David
The 2015-2017 MacBook has only USB-C. It does not support the use of Thunderbolt devices whatsoever, so there's no way to use that display with it.

Reactions: chabig

Lemondropcr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Hello

Many thanks for your help.

I will look for an alternative display.

Thanks

David

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
can a macbook connect to an older 24" LED ACD with mini displayport? last i checked there were inelegant solutions.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
can a macbook connect to an older 24" LED ACD with mini displayport? last i checked there were inelegant solutions.

yes, via an inelegant solution. Like a dock. Like those made by Henge. I used to run a 27" ACD from a 12" MacBook via dock and, while it's clearly something to irritate the Steves and Jonys of this world, it works.

tayy

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2016
Remember the 27” apple monitor also exist with Mini DisplayPort. The display is equal to the thunderbolt version which was released later on. The Mini DisplayPort version has fewer ports tho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.