Connecting to Time Machine via Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pwneill, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Pwneill macrumors newbie

Hello, I have an Airport extreme base, and a standard, run in the mill hard drive. I know time capsule offers what I am about to ask, but the hard drive I have now was purchased for me, and the airport extreme base was as well. I don't have the money to purchase a time capsule right now.

My question is how can I back up in time machine wirelessly? My issue is getting my laptop (standard MacBook with leopard) to recognize that the hard drive I use for time machine is connected to the network.

If you need more information, please feel free to ask

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

is the hard drive in an external USB enclosure? that is the first step.

3. Pwneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I think so. It connects to my laptop via a USB cord.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

okay then, make sure it is HFS formatted (most compatible IMO) and connect it via usb to the AEBS. In your networks (look in the Finder sidebar) see if your AEBS pops up, select it and you should see the drive. Go to TM prefs, select that drive to backup to, and hit back up now.

The first backupp will take forever, but after that, Leopard should automatically find and back up to the drive every hour, provided you don't rename the drive.

5. Pwneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see it. I can connect to the AEBS, but it doesn't even recognize that the drive is there.

6. Pwneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I found the answer. There's supposedly a software update I might not have installed that improves it.

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

indeed, it came out a few weeks ago