Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodman650

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Hey all!
I just got a mac mini and I love it. I have a Toshiba HD crt tv with a HDMI input, so I got a cable and connected my mac right in and it works. Now the only thing I can't figure out is why the image is distored on the right and left sides of the screen. The text is perfectly sharp in the center but as you move away, the image blurs.

My settings are 1024x576 with no overscan. The image fits perfectly but this blurring issue is throwing me off. It doesn't appear that I can fix it through the tv settings, as I have played around with all the settings and cannot fix anything. (could be the tube itself but I doubt it)

Any ideas? thanks!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

My settings are 1024x576 with no overscan. ...
For a modern Mac computer monitor, 576 is a very small number of scan lines. If its diagonal measure is greater than 23", I would expect text to be somewhat blurry. What is the diagonal measure of your TV?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hey all!
I just got a mac mini and I love it. I have a Toshiba HD crt tv with a HDMI input, so I got a cable and connected my mac right in and it works. Now the only thing I can't figure out is why the image is distored on the right and left sides of the screen. The text is perfectly sharp in the center but as you move away, the image blurs.

My settings are 1024x576 with no overscan. The image fits perfectly but this blurring issue is throwing me off. It doesn't appear that I can fix it through the tv settings, as I have played around with all the settings and cannot fix anything. (could be the tube itself but I doubt it)

Any ideas? thanks!
Sounds like you have some sort of "smart stretch" going on. Seems odd since 1024x576 is a 16:9 resolution.

Can't you just send it 1080i or 720p? The text may be a little small, though.

woodman650

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
26" the tv is supposed to be sending in 1080i, but doesn't seem to. it's weird

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
In the resolution list, "1920x1080 (Interlaced)" should be an option! Give that a try!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
26" the tv is supposed to be sending in 1080i, but doesn't seem to. it's weird
Your TV doesn't send signals, it receives them. We have already established that the set is too large for your pixel setting. From my reading of the specs of a 26" Toshiba Widescreen CRT HDTV, I infer that its 1080i setting is really line-doubled 540. If this is the case, then it is doing just about the best it can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.