connecting to tv problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thewall, Oct 19, 2011.

1. thewall macrumors member

thewall

Hi
    I'm trying to connect my 13" macbook to a tv,i have a mini dvi to hdmi lead and a 3.5 jack to a red and white jack lead, when i connect them i get a picture but whats on the macbook screen is off screen on the tv and i have to drag the macbook screen off screen to the right to get a picture on the tv,and i cannot get any sound at all tried all ports on the tv's (tried it on 2 tv's).

I only want to watch vids on utube

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

To see your MBA's screen on the TV, go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement > MIRROR DISPLAYS. But know, that mirroring your display will limit the TV's resolution to 1280 x 800 pixel (the MB's resolution) or it will limit the MB's resolution to the TV's resolution, if the TV has a lower resolution than 1280 x 800. Also know, that the TV has a 16:9 aspect ratio, but the MB has a 16:10 aspect ratio, thus you will experience some black bars.
    You could also use the ARRANGEMENT tab to move the menu bar to the TV and have all new windows open on the TV, if the TV has a bigger resolution than the MB.

System Preferences > Displays >> Arrangement >>> Mirror Displays (but know, that the display with the lowest resolution determines the maximum resolution used on both, thus one display will have a lower than native resolution, except when both displays have the same native resolution)
    [​IMG]

I don't know about the audio, that you have to look up in the TV's manual.

3. thewall thread starter macrumors member

thewall

Thanks for the reply great help,regarding the audio (silly question coming) you do plug the jack into the headphone socket right?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you do.