Connecting to TV w/ HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ramparts, May 14, 2009.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I got a DVI-to-HDMI cable from the Apple store, the employee there said it was the best way to connect my Macbook (older model) to an HDTV. As it turns out, HDMI carries both video *and* audio and unless I'm mistaken, my TV doesn't have associated audio jacks for either of its HDMI inputs. Is there a way around this, or is HDMI not a useful way to connect a Mac to a TV?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you sure you don't have any type of audio in jack on your TV?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use a DVI-HDMI cable on my Mini to my TV. The audio I have going from my Mini's audio out (headphone jack) to my stereo system using a composite audio converter adapter. I haven't tried connecting audio directly to the TV though. It has audio in jacks though.

4. grills macrumors newbie

HDMI can pipe both audio and video, but DVI can pipe only video. So for audio, you need an extra cable. I use the same cable I use to connect my ipod to my car stereo. Plug one end to the macbook headphone jack and the other end to similar input on your DVD Player/receiver/TV. If this isn't an option, go with a composite cable (red and white at one end and goes into your mac headphone jack at the other).

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yup. You're using DVI from the computer, which is only video, and connecting THAT to HDMI. If Macs had a HDMI port directly on it, then it would be transferring both audio and video. The Mac, like most computers, has a separate video card and separate audio card, so you need to use the two different ports. The headphone jack, and the DVI port.

6. GregE macrumors 6502

I have a Samsung LCD TV and one of the HDMI inputs also has audio inputs associated with it in case you are actually using DVI. It works great. I'm really glad I bought these cables to be able to connect my MacBook to my 52" TV. It really comes in handy when our DVR missed recording a show and we want to catch up. The best part is when it's on a network where the show is in HD.

[​IMG]