Connecting to UK Orange/T-mobile network issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VulchR, Nov 12, 2010.

?

Orange UK users: Has the option of using T-Mobile's network....

1. Improved my experience of using the iPhone

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Made no difference to my experience of using the iPhone

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Made my my experience of using the iPhone worse

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

For those that subscribe to Orange UK - have you had problems getting 3G when opting for the combined Orange/T-Mobile network?

I live in an area that has a marginal signal from Orange, so I was pleasantly surprised the Orange and T-Mobile formed an alliance that allows me access also to the T-Mobile network. However, the reality is that it has actually made my experience using the iPhone worse. If I opt for the combined Orange/T-Mobile network, the signal defaults to a rather useless GRPS mode. If I select the Orange only network, I get an annoying notification every few minutes that I could use an alternative network in areas where I am on the edge of Orange's 3G signal. And of course it takes a relative long time for the iPhone to identify networks, so manually switching back and forth from Orange only to Orange/T-Mobile is a pain in the backside.

I was just wondering if anybody else was having the same issue and whether there is any workaround.

2. Matt.H macrumors member

According to T-Mobile, at this time it is not possible to use Orange's 3G network, it advises you to wait until you switch back onto the T-Mobile signal before you will get a 3G connection. [source]

Orange confirm that the same applies to them and using the T-Mobile 3G signal. However, it does state that as of next year you will be able to make use of both T-Mobile and Oranges 3G networks.

Hope that helps!

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm on Orange an I have had no issues with the merger, in my previous house I would occaisionally fall back onto the orange-tmobile gprs signal but majority of time I was mostly on low Orange 3G signal.

It did help when I was downstairs as I would generally lose all connection, but with the new orange-tmobile gprs signal I had a fall back signal to keep connected.

4. Skaffenuk macrumors newbie

As Matt said, they are only sharing their 2G networks at present, although full 3G inter-network roaming will come in the future.