Connecting to UK Orange/T-mobile network issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VulchR, Nov 12, 2010.

Orange UK users: Has the option of using T-Mobile's network....

1. Improved my experience of using the iPhone

1 vote(s)
  2. Made no difference to my experience of using the iPhone

2 vote(s)
  3. Made my my experience of using the iPhone worse

1 vote(s)
  1. VulchR macrumors 68020

Jun 8, 2009
    For those that subscribe to Orange UK - have you had problems getting 3G when opting for the combined Orange/T-Mobile network?

I live in an area that has a marginal signal from Orange, so I was pleasantly surprised the Orange and T-Mobile formed an alliance that allows me access also to the T-Mobile network. However, the reality is that it has actually made my experience using the iPhone worse. If I opt for the combined Orange/T-Mobile network, the signal defaults to a rather useless GRPS mode. If I select the Orange only network, I get an annoying notification every few minutes that I could use an alternative network in areas where I am on the edge of Orange's 3G signal. And of course it takes a relative long time for the iPhone to identify networks, so manually switching back and forth from Orange only to Orange/T-Mobile is a pain in the backside.

I was just wondering if anybody else was having the same issue and whether there is any workaround.
  2. Matt.H macrumors member

Feb 1, 2009
    According to T-Mobile, at this time it is not possible to use Orange's 3G network, it advises you to wait until you switch back onto the T-Mobile signal before you will get a 3G connection. [source]

Orange confirm that the same applies to them and using the T-Mobile 3G signal. However, it does state that as of next year you will be able to make use of both T-Mobile and Oranges 3G networks.

Hope that helps!
  3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2007
    Liverpool, UK
    I'm on Orange an I have had no issues with the merger, in my previous house I would occaisionally fall back onto the orange-tmobile gprs signal but majority of time I was mostly on low Orange 3G signal.

It did help when I was downstairs as I would generally lose all connection, but with the new orange-tmobile gprs signal I had a fall back signal to keep connected.
  4. Skaffenuk macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2010
    London, UK
    As Matt said, they are only sharing their 2G networks at present, although full 3G inter-network roaming will come in the future.