Connecting to University Wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tcrab, Sep 15, 2007.

1. tcrab macrumors member

Hello. Today I just got an ipod touch at best buy. It works great, however I do not know how to connect it to my University's wifi.

To connect to my university wifi i have to use WEP 802.1x with PEAP authentication and then I have to use my username and password. If someone could let me know how to do this it would be highly appericated.

Thanks

2. Brereton55 macrumors newbie

3. tcrab thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do. I don't see a username though. That is the problem

4. rmh macrumors regular

It doesn't support 802.1x, nor does the iPhone. Its something that should be fixable with a patch, but I guess we're at Apple's mercy for that one.

5. tcrab thread starter macrumors member

Ok thank you. I hope it will work soon. Until then I think i can maybe get a guest username and password

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

PEAP requires a licensing fee as well.

If your university is using WPA Enterprise then the iPhone and iPod Touch won't be able to connect unless Apple pays up the fee to enable the devices. Mine luckily has a less robust wireless infrastructure that uses VPN in addition the PEAP authenticating one.

7. rmh macrumors regular

I hope they add it soon to. My university also uses 802.1x. I have cable Internet at my apartment, but it would be awesome to be able to connect anywhere on campus using my Touch.

8. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

It would be wonderfully ironic (unless you live in Palo Alto) if after Mr. Jobs (a little too annoyed to be using a first name basis at the moment) lamented about other devices not being able to log into Stanford's campus, if the ipod touch couldn't either.

On the other hand, i am personally hoping that it works on most college campuses.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd make sure your university doesn't have an additional wireless network to support older computers that with hardware and/or software doesn't support WPA first. You have a better chance then hoping for Apple to provide a solution.

10. rmh macrumors regular

true, but unfortunately we only have the WPA network. Perhaps if Apple decides to push the iPhone on the business users they will add it, along with exchange server support. Then again maybe its just wishful thinking...

11. petercockroach macrumors newbie

Send feedback!

To everyone who goes to university or works where 802.1X authentication is needed:

Please send Apple your feedback! If they get enough requests, hopefully they do something about it!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'll definitely be doing that. My school has WPA2 Enterprise everywhere but nothing else.

13. petercockroach macrumors newbie

Soo...now that 1.1.2 is out, can anyone confirm whether there has been any update to the whole not-working-on-campus situation?