Connecting to USB-device on router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jolano, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Jolano macrumors newbie

I've got a wireless router/modem installed by my internet provider, and it's got a USB port on it. This seems like a great answer to my looking for a way to enable Time Machine via network. I started testing around with a random USB-stick (FAT32) and was able to simply navigate to it in Windows Explorer (on Windows 7) by inputting the local network address of the modem (the standard 192.168.0.1) and access the files thereon.

However, I can't find a way to get to the device with MacOSX (10.6 and 10.7). When I try the "go to folder"-option in Finder, it throws up that the folder cannot be found, and "connect to server" doesn't work either. Since it works on Win7, I'm guessing it's a software issue (me having some settings wrong, for instance), but I've no clue how to fix this. Anyone have an idea?

2. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The router is most likely set up with SMB. SMB can't be used with Time Machine. However, if you want to access it, type command-k in Finder and type SMB://192.168.0.1. It should list all the available shares at that location; it should only show your flash drive.

3. Jolano thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try that, I get a little pop-up window asking to enter a user name and password, which I didn't get in Windows. Logging in as guest doesn't work, and neither do any of the bazillion username/password combinations that could be relevant to either my mac or the router. Would you happen to know where I could find this info?