Connecting to VNC server that is behind a router....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by afbuckeye, May 29, 2007.

1. afbuckeye macrumors member

I can connect to the other computer on a network just fine while i am within the network but when i leave the network and try to connect to them elsewhere i can't seem to get it to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how i can connect to a computer on a network that is connected to a router. I have done port forwarding but i'm not sure if i have done it correctly.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. varmit, May 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Are you sure you forwarded the correct ports, which should be 5900 and I think 5901, if not other ports. I suggest that you put a static IP Address in the computer that is the VNC server, because if its DHCP it could get a different address than the one that you have port forwarded too.

Is your Internet connection fast enough to handle VNC sessions.

3. afbuckeye thread starter macrumors member

Here's another thing.... i type in the ip of the computer i am trying to connect to in ARD and it recognizes the computer but says it is offline...

any idea what this means?

4. varmit, May 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, ARD and VNC are completely different. ARD uses port 3283, not the 5900 of VNC. So, which is it, VNC or ARD. Also, are you using the WAN address that your router has and not the internal address that you computer has inside the router when trying to access the computer from the internet?

5. afbuckeye thread starter macrumors member

i use ARD to connect to the computers that are running th VNC server...
    like i said... it works when im on the same network with the computers but when i leave the network and try to connect to them it doesnt work...

i have to go but ill be back to try to explain more of what i did and see if you can help .... thanks

6. adese macrumors member

adese

most likely the reason is because each computer on your network has an internal ip address behind a router such as 192.168.xxx.xxx or something. If you want to access your computer behind this router outside the network you must be VPN'ed in. You'll have to ask your IT guy in charge of the network if you have a VPN server available. Than you can use an app from Cisco or something to get on. Once you are on via VPN all your traffic is routed thru work first as if you were physically on the network. you will be able to VNC to your machine too.