Connecting to Washing Machine

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aCondor, Jan 17, 2011.

1. aCondor macrumors 6502

Could I connect my iPad via USB to this Whirlpool Vantage Washer/Dryer in order to create a larger touchscreen? I am buying one for my mother and she has poor eyesight - the iPad will help her choose the correct cycle.

I want to "mirror" the LCD screen from the Whirlpool device. Any thoughts on this?

Here is another link with more info.

2. lapocompris macrumors regular

Here is the answer to your question:

3. aCondor thread starter macrumors 6502

Was looking for a more enlightening answer. Is it possible to "mirror" a separate LCD display onto the iPad through USB?

Please, think of the old lady you could be helping.

4. mstrze, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

mstrze macrumors 68000

That short and sweet answer is probably very, very true.

No where in that article does it say that the USB port does anything more than allow the firmware to be updated.

Add to that...there is no app that I know of that allows the iPad to mirror a display via USB.

Now, I am not saying it is impossible, but you would have to have a very smart programmer willing to delve into the inner workings of the washing machine/dryer combo and the iPad to create an interface.

At that point, you are probably better off just looking for a larger touchscreen interface that you could solder into your washer/dryer to replace the smaller one.

All in all...it will not be easy.

No way to make the figures on the display bigger under some sort of setting? That might be a solution you are overlooking.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ever since I saw this question, I've been mulling over how to explain why this couldn't be done, but you did it very very well.

I'd just like to add that perhaps interested people could write to the washing machine manufacturer to point out that the small size of their display could be problematic for people with visual impairments, including the elderly, and suggest interfacing with larger tablets, such as the iPad, as a possible solution. I do think OP's idea is a great idea, just not as easy to implement as the OP thought.

6. lapocompris macrumors regular

I'd like to add that connecting an iPad to a vibrating machine is not a good idea. How about Whirlpool implementing Bluetooth to their appliances, then you can use any tablet or smartphone of your choice.

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

I know that you can buy magnifying screens to attach to laptop screens. I wonder if something similar might work on the washing machine display? Another option might be the hand held magnifiers that are available in page size to assist the visually impaired when reading a book.

8. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

USB is for software updates. iPad might fall off and break.

Why not buy her a less complex and much less expensive washer and then update her computer with the savings (or update another appliance)? That washer is designed for large families with elaborate washing needs...

And also she won't have to Facetime you to help her figure out how to wash her clothes.

9. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

+1!

The older folks don't like too complicated gizmos for simple tasks like washing cloths. Get her a plain ol washer with a dial that chooses the cycle and she'll be happy as a clam.