Connecting to Win Server 2003

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by designs216, Mar 24, 2011.

1. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I need specific directions for networking my Mac Pro to Windows Server 2003. I've Mroogled and there doesn't seem to be info more current than about four years ago. All the simple tricks I found were no help.

I'm able to connect other file servers network but IT says that this server is not on the network (They also seem quite miffed that I bought a Mac w/o their permission.)

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I can help.

Please give me specifics on what you need to do:

I am looking for:
    Operating system on your Mac
    are you running SBS or just server 2003?

Glad to help.:)

3. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Many thanks Tigres.

The OS is 10.6.7.

On the win side: Windows Server 2003r2 Standard Edition.

I need to be able to move files to and from this server. It is not necessary for other users on the network to be able to access files on my Mac.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

They can set up a WebDAV folder for you via iis and give you access to files. You can use this easily to login via iPhone, iPad, mac. Also, you can connect via offsite as well as local. This will use your credentials to utilize the folder(s) that you need access to. To beauty in it is that you/they can pick and choose what you need access to.

See if they can set up a WebDAV folder for you and report back. This is the quickest and easiest route. It is also secure SSL, so no worries on that front, as long as your company has a SSL valid cert.

More later when you report your findings.

Tigres-

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You can try Apple's directions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8849.html

Alternately, there's what I used to do:

Finder->Go->Connect to Server
    Server address is in the form "cifs://DomainLoginID@192.168.1.1" where "DomainLoginID" is your domain login ID or Domain;LoginID where "Domain" is your Windows domain name (shown in the Windows Login box) followed by a semi-colon and then your domain username. The address is the IP address of the server, you can use its name if your Mac is getting DNS.

6. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Thanks for getting back to me.

I had done this part already:

Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Domain Controller Security Policy. You can ignore any errors about truncated strings ... gotta love one-button alerts. Then navigate into Local Policies: Security Options, and set the following:

Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communications (always): DISABLED
    Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees): ENABLED

I'm going to read through the rest of your suggestions and report back.

7. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

I tried connecting to the Win Server first with the IP and then alternately with the server name + sharename, with combinations involving my username and without, to no avail. I've tried using the workgroup that is listed on my Win7 box and also the workgroup that is listed on the server itself. I don't even get as far as the authentication screen. The connection fails and the message says there is an error connecting to the server.

One idea might hold promise. Is there some kind of access control security setting on the Win Server like the MAC address filter on a router? If so, where would I go to check it?

8. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

If you are networked, you have credentials stored in active directory on server 03'. These are the same for SMB connections, or you should even see the server in finder. Do you see it in finder?
    If you do, click on it, it should ask for your login/password. You can then see shared drives and take to the route to the files you need.