connecting to windows server 2012

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by squeeks, Jan 21, 2014.

1. squeeks, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

In the past I have been able to connect to my windows 2012 ess. server using go>connect to server and SMB://server name, but after I reinstalled server I can no longer do that, but my window machines still see it fine. Ideas? Maybe something in the router?

This is using my MacBook pro over wifi.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

SMB://servername isn't a valid SMB share for Windows. it would be in the format SMB://servername/sharename where sharename is the share you're connecting to. File and Storage services role also needs to be installed on the 2012 machine.

Correctly creating a share in 2012:http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/how-to-share-a-folder-in-windows-server-2012/#.

3. jpeezy macrumors regular

If the above post doesn't work, try using cifs://server/share instead.

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

Maybe not "officially" but it does work, did it before with server 2012, and can connect to my windows 8 machine this way. OSX brings up a login, then dialog box asking which share you want to connect to.
    didn't help, all my shares are set up the same way.

didn't work, thx though.

I can connect to the shares on my windows 8 machine (from osx), and my windows 8 machine can connect to the shares on ther server... Im just missing something.

5. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Check logging on the mac and 2012 server for any relevant info