connecting to work group 10.5.2.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aiterum, Mar 3, 2008.

1. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I am currently working with a recently purchased MBP running leopard 10.5.2.

I have the computer connected to the internet via a wired ethernet cable that is running directly out from our switch. This switch is also connected to some other PCs that are all part of the same workgroup. what I want to know is how I can get my Mac in OSX to read the workgroup.

When I go into the network tab, it doesn't detect anything. I went in the sharing options and enabled the SMB sharing thing, and I can now see my laptop through the "See all computers on workgroup" option on Windows XP.

However, on the leopard side, when I open up the network tab, I see nothing. I can connect to my PCs by entering their IP addresses into the connect to server option, but I have to redo this every time I restart the computer, or an IP address on one of my PCs changes (I am currently forced to run my one PC under a dynamic IP adress).

I have went under the networks tab, went into the advanced options (WINS or something) and have set the work group name correctly. I know this for a fact, because on the PC side, I can see my laptop when I go into the workgroup directory. However, I still see nothing by default on the mac side.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you have any folders shared on the PC?

What happens if you go to Finder->Go->Connect to Server, and type smb://<PC Name>

3. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

I can see the shared folders on the PC fine. I tested this earlier by using the IP adress and I was able to connect to it.

however, what I am asking for is how when I go into the networks tab on the sidebar of the finder, that it will detect the computers that are on my workgroup automatically without having to go into the connect to server option and having to use the name of the computer/ip address each time

edit: I can also see a folder I have shared on the mac from the PC side if that helps any

4. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

sorry for the early bumpage, but I was looking at another mac I have with 10.4.11 on it, and under the utilities it had an option through directory access I believe, and had some option under SMB under which I could put in the workgroup name and it would let me join (via username and password provided) However, under leopard, under the directory utility (apparently no longer access), there is no such SMB option

where would I find an option like this

It looks like under the network settings, the WINS console is supposed to connect to an already existing workgroup that the computer has previously been joined to. However I cannot find any command or tool that lets me find my workgroup and join to it. (Although it is still wierd that my PCs can see this laptop under the workgroup through XP with no problem or different configuration at all.)