Connecting to xbox LIVE through MacBook Pro internet sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iNickk, Jan 18, 2011.

1. iNickk macrumors member

Sorry for the long title. What I'm trying to do is to share my mac's internet connection wirelessly, from the ethernet cable I have in my dorm room at university, over wifi, so the xbox picks it up and I can play on LIVE.

I have set up internet sharing, and am successfully sharing my connection with my iPhone and iPad, so it works.

I thought the problem may be something to do with the internet ports being blocked on the campus network. But that doesn't seem to be the problem. I can't even get my xbox to connect to my laptop. I choose the SSID ("Nick's Laptop") and when i choose test connection, it says unable to obtain an IP address.

here is a helpful diagram:
    [​IMG]

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What frequency are you transmitting to the XBox 360 in that Ad-Hock setup?

3. iNickk thread starter macrumors member

How would I find this out?

4. iNickk thread starter macrumors member

Okay. Sorry for the double post. I've worked out what I was doing wrong. The xbox needed some DNS settings. So on my mac i went into network and found them, and copied them into the xbox. Now working, thank you anyway.

5. KrsutyCheerio macrumors newbie

how were you able to connect your xbox to your macbook? Im running lion and mim trying to connect by setting everything to automatic and I'm using a college campus network which doesn't allow online gaming which is why I'm trying to connect it via ethernet cable on the mac. It doesn't even connect to the network when i test it.