Connecting two 24' monitors (ATI Radeon HD 4870)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gfree, May 17, 2009.

1. gfree macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am about to purchase a mac pro and I want to connect two monitors (dell2408wfp).

I am confused if I need to buy the displayport dvi adapter or not, does the ati card have two dvi ports? I have been reading mixed things on different sites about requiring two graphics cards for multiple displays etc.

2. grue macrumors 65816

You'll need the mini-lameport to DVI adapter, Apple had ATI put the piece of crap new connector on the cards.

Ironically, the 2408 has full-sized displayport, but I'm not aware of any adapters from stupid small version to normal, not-retarded version yet.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yes you'll need an adaptor. Then it should work fine.

If you wanted 2 24" LED ACD's you would need 2 video cards though.

4. gfree thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any benefit between having the one ati HD card or two nvidia cards? Do multiple nvidia cards combine their efforts and work together (assuming there is drivers for this).

5. jeanlain macrumors 6502a

No they don't. At least not under OS X.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The Radeon 4870 would be a better choice anyway, and could run both monitors.

7. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Doesn't the 2408wfp have a displayport? If so, would you need an adapter?

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No one makes them yet. They've been expected 'soon' ever since Apple released machines with the MDP connector since its an open standard but for some reason no one's actually made any let alone sold any.

Honestly, I'm so surprised Apple hasn't released a DVI to mini display port adapter so that everyone with older machines (specifically pre 2009 Mac Pros) could buy the new displays. They had a DVI to ADC adapter back in the day after all.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It has been over 6 months, I'm guessing that if it is possible it requires complicated conversion of the signal and it just isn't worth it as an option. Being that MDP to dual link DVI is $99 and doesn't work correctly with many displays and systems I wouldn't ever count on DVI to MDP being an option.

10. gfree thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read some bad reviews about apples mini display port dvi connector on the apple store by previous customers. With two non-apple monitors such as the dells I think it would be less hassle with 2 nvidia graphics cards and just use the dvi connectors. Didn't the older mac pro's have 2 dvi ports?

The apple store suggests having two nvidia cards if you want 2 24' ACD's and I've never been a fan of external adapters.

11. stormtroopar macrumors member

Actually, to answer your original question. Yes, you can use your single ATI 4870 video card to drive your 2 Dell LCD monitor. The 4870 comes with 1 DVI and 1 mini-display port on the mac. So all you need is 1 mini-displayport to DVI converter and you should be able to use both your Dell monitor no problem.

You only need 2 separate gfx card when you want to drive 2 x Apple latest 24" LCD backlit panels. They only have 1 mini displayport in the back as input and nothing else!! Since no DVI to mini-displayport adapter exist, that is why you need 2 gfx card that has 1 mini-displayport each to drive 2 Apple's latest 24" LCD panels...