Connecting two Cinema HD 30 inch to an Mac Pro 5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Yzord, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Yzord macrumors member

Yzord

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with the standard ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB in it which has a 30 inch Cinema HD connected through DVI.

I want to buy a second 30 inch Cinema HD monitor, but i only have 2 mini display ports available on the card. How can i connect the second one?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You will need an adapter from the mini DisplayPort to dual-link DVI. That kind of adapter is an active (powered) adapter, so is more expensive. Apple sells one for about $100.
    Monoprice.com has this one for about $71 - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6904

3. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

You might be lucky with a cheap non-powered active DP->DL DVI Adapter. Those are not 100% conform to DVI specification, so they're not guaranteed to work.
    Otherwise you might also buy a (faster) GPU with 2 DVI connectors for the same money...

Btw, I wouldn't invest in that old Cinema Display unless it's really cheap. It's a little outdated...

4. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bump an old thread... is $150 "really cheap" for the 30" Display? I'd have to add the $60 for the Dual Link Adaptor as well, I suppose.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

If the display is in good shape, $150 is a steal. I got mine used a couple years ago for $700.

6. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Monoprice has a miniDP to Dual-link DVI adapter.
    So does Kanex.
    Maybe a couple of others.
    Whatever you get, you need to make sure it is a "powered" adapter, as you can find a couple of cheap products that advertise as a "dual-link DVI" adapter, but are simple wired (passive) adapters, and may work in certain situations, with a limited number of displays. The powered (active) adapters are best for this use.

9. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

The Apple Display Port to Dual Link DVI adapter can be a bit iffy with any screen other than an Apple Cinema Display & these are the only screens that the adapter is warranted to work with. In the OP's case they are ACDs so no problem but he might want to consider doing as I did & get a powered dual link DVI adapter from another manufacturer so that if the ACDs are ever replaced then the adapters will still be useful.

10. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Gotcha - thanks! Maybe I'll splurge on the Apple (or a used Apple adaptor, anyway!)