Connecting two differnt Macs to one Internet connection

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ranman444, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ranman444 macrumors newbie

This is my first time posting to this , so please be gentle with me. I am considering purchasing an iMac. I currently have an eMac that is approx. 5 years old. I would like to give my 6 year old son the e-mac. Here is my question. We have one internet high speed connection for the eMac. What are my options(cost is a factor) for having them both connected to the same connection so we could have the internet on both computers. I appreciate all your help and knowledge on this.

2. thesdx macrumors 6502a

You should get a wireless router if you don't already have one. That's the easiest way.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A simple router (~$35) or a Wireless Router (~$50) will solve this problem.

TEG

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah a router does this. I would recommend a wired one if you can as its faster, and more consistent. But if cables can't be run wireless works too you will need to get a Airport card though.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If your modem has more than one ethernet out port, then you're all set. If not, then a wired router like TEG says is the least expensive option.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you are given two IPs or if the modem has a built in router.

7. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

If you have a Fry's in your area, they often times have OEM Dell wireless routers for $20.

The free as in beer option of course would be to connect the two wirelessly (if the eMac has an airport card) and enable internet sharing on one of the computers. This of course requires both computers to be on to use the internet on the marooned machine ;).

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Considering that decent wired routers can be had for cheap, You'd be better suited going that route rather than having to contend with network sharing on one mac. Bear in mind that when you're using a computer as a network sharing node, the network goes down for the other Mac when you power off or reboot.

You could also go wireless for a bit more.