Connecting two laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iangibson, Oct 27, 2009.

1. iangibson macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a problem with my Powerbook g3, the display seems to be crapped out and not functioning. I tried hooking up an extrenal monitor. DVI - VGA.

The monitor received no signal. The only other option is s-video, but i'm afraid that the video port is just shot, hence the no signal from the monitor.

I have a program that only runs on that computer.

Is there anyway to link up a macbook pro to the powerbook, and use the macbook pro monitor for the use of the powerbook, so I can run the program.

Any help?

Thanks!!

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Ethernet cable between the 2, screen sharing. If you search spotlight for it, it will come up, its in library>coreservices. You will need to find the IP address for it though, but it might automatically come up in your "my computers" section :)

You could of course firewire between the 2, reboot the powerbook into target disk and the drag what you need off that harddrive onto your macbook pro :)

PTP

3. iangibson thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just boot them booth up with an ethernet cable. Hop on the macbook pro, and enter screen sharing mode and use the powerbook?

The problem is the program only runs on that older OS.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Can you screen share if one of the computers isn't running Leopard (or SL)?

One solution - but certainly not the easiest, and only to be used if you can't get anything else working - is to pull the drive from the PowerBook and put it in a firewire enclosure. Then boot the MBP from that drive and run your program.

5. iangibson thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly?!

One is running like Panther and the other, leopard.

Oh damn.

6. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

i used to be able to screen share my tiger machine from my leopard laptop. Controlling itunes from my bed was always a fun way to confuse house mates.

Im not sure if panther has these abilities built in. but i'd hestitate to say that you need to fiddle with sharing preferences under system preferences. I think your best bet might well be to get a USB/firewire enclosure and see what thats saying.

Good Luck :)