Connecting two MacBook Pros (no internet)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EmptyG, Apr 20, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Hello all! Loving my new MBP! :)

My uncle just recently got the same one as I have and we were hoping to link 'em up to compare progs, share some files, etc. My question is: he has no Internet connection and we want to hook them together.

What's the best way to accomplish this? USB? Bluetooth? I know there is a very easy way, but wanted to check with you guys for any tips. Sorry if this an extremely noob question :)

Thanks!

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Firewire. Just set one of them to target mode (hold t on startup), and use it as you would an external HD.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Click on the airport icon in the menubar and then click create network name the network and click ok. Now go to the other MacBook Pro and connect to the network. Now your MacBook Pros are networked, you can use iChat to send files or some other program like that. (I use iChat because it's there)

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well...if you just want to access the computers one at a time, you could use Firewire Target Disk mode. You can also connect them just with an Ethernet cable or (I believe, through your Airport cards), but I'll let someone with some experience with that (like iBookG4user above) tell you how to set that up.

Good Luck!

5. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Wow

3 responses before I even got back from the bathroom. You guys rock :) Thanks for the tips!

6. Winterfell macrumors regular

Yeah, I was going to suggest using the wireless capabilities as well. It's typically the easiest way, ime.

A friend and I used to play Warcraft III with our laptops in this manner: one of us would create a network, and the other would connect to it. Lots of fun. :)

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You could also just use a normal Ethernet cable.

8. Onkelskrue macrumors member

Lets make it a bit more interesting - I have two laptops - one with a 3G Vodafone usb modem - how can I have them share the internet connection?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Lars

9. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Just turn internet sharing on in system preferences, connect them, and you should be set. I've never done it with that specific modem but it's worked perfectly with other internet sources when I've used it like that.

10. Audio-Architect macrumors newbie

Ethernet...

Any chance someone could give me a little walkthrough for connecting 2 macbooks together via ethernet? I'm not too sure how to setup the network.

I need to have the 2 connected before I can use Logic Node for audio recording.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

+1

Firewire Target Mode not applicable to his situation. AdHoc is a go!

12. jazzisfaction macrumors newbie

how can I use the two screens simultaniously?

Hey,
    is it possible to connect two macbooks in a way that I can use the two screens of them the same time. If you buy a macbook you get a cable to connect your labtop to a monitor but I do live music performances and I need to connect my two macbooks-screens. I only need the screens - I'm not interested in excange of files between the two.
    Has anybody an idea? I know that there are very expensive KVM adapters with which you can share the keyboards, screens,etc.
    But I can't find any cable or adapter for just sharing the two screens.

Thanx so much for helping