Connecting UMB to Samsung LCD question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Aug 20, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Is there a adaptor that I can use to connect my UMB to my Samsung Series 5 LCD via HDMI, or do I have to just go with the mini display port adapter?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mini Display Port->DVI then DVI->HDMI cable if you want to stay with official adaptors, otherwise Google will help you find a Mini Display Port->HDMI adaptor.

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there that much difference in quality, or am I just wasting the money by going to the DVI>HDMI?

Edit: I found the Mini to HDMI, and it seems to be cheaper than going with the original mini display adaptor. The HDMI should import my screen and sound to the TV, just like it would with my PS3, correct?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No matter what adaptor you buy you don't get sound: it's simply not sent out over the mini display port. You need to use the headphones socket for that.

5. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read on another site that there were some issues with audio when connecting the UMB to a TV via HDMI. Has you heard of that issue?

I was thinking about going this route, if it works:

Mini toslink cable

+

HDMI adaptor

Will this combo give me both audio and video on the TV, or should I just go with a regular 3.5 plug to go from the audio out>in? Thanks for the help again!

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

We have all been complaining about the fact that the mini display port doesn't carry audio for a while now. I think it's really crappy, but that's just my opinion. The route you're describing with the toslink cable is probably the best.

8. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I saw the optical input on the back of the TV, so I assume it does.