Connecting USB-C to a monitor with display port, USB and ethernet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badsimian, Sep 15, 2016.

1. badsimian macrumors newbie

I was wondering how one is supposed to connect up a 12" MacBook to a 4K monitor via display port. All the dongles I see tend to be single ones taking up the whole port just for display. (I know you need a software patch to enabled 60Hz btw)

It should be possible to build a dock like adapter with USB-C going to display port 1.2, full size USB-3 and an ethernet port in a single device shouldn't it?

2. badsimian thread starter macrumors newbie

That 4K output is HDMI though, many 4K monitors only support HDMI 1.4 so need to use display port for 4K @ 60Hz. I'm looking for display port video output.

3. Samuelsan2001, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The 12 inch MacBook doesn't output 4K at 60hz this is taken from apples MacBook spec page.

Graphics and Video Support
    Intel HD Graphics 515

Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840x2160 pixels at 30Hz on an external display, both at millions of colours.

Your MacBook only has a 5gb/s bandwidth on its USB c port no thunderbolt speeds at all it just will not be able to carry more than that, even the thunderbolt at 10gb/sec bandwidth struggled with 4K at 60 hz and the 2013,MacBook pro would only reach 52hz with any smoothness with thunderbolt 2 and Iris graphics. What you want is not available because your hardware is not good enough to do what you want. When we get USB 3/thunderbolt 3 ports on the next rMBP's there will be dongles galore with display port

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

There are USB-C hubs on the market. But for throughput to the display, it would be better to just build a lot of that into a monitor. USB C on PC to USB C on monitor with USB-C powered hub. USB-C port between PC and monitor charges the PC. Many monitors already have powered USB 3 hubs, so USB 3 should not be an issue. Ethernet might not be in a monitor, but you can buy a USB 3.1 to ethernet for $15.