Connecting USB Printer Freezes my Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pvellacott, Jul 22, 2007.

1. pvellacott macrumors newbie

I'm going mad.

All I am trying to do is connect my HP 3745 Colour Printer to my iMAC (OS X 10.3.9, 1.25mhz, and 512 MD DDR SDRAM) - and it makes my computer freeze.

I have installed the correct computer disk that came with the printer, my other printer works on the USB port.

Even if I unplug every USB device, as soon as I put the USB cable for this printer in it FREEZES.

If I use the USB on the keyboard, it says "USB OVER CURRENT NOTICE." I get not such notice if I connect to the USB's on the main computer, it just freezes.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE! WILL I EVER GET MY PRINTER TO WORK!!!!

P

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried creating a new user account and plugging the printer in? Does it still freeze?

3. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not the most literate of people. What does creating a new account mean and involve.

O

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

(I'm using Tiger)

But go into System Preferences and go to Users, then if it is locked so you can't make any changes, click on the lock and type in your password. Then click on the plus and type in the information for the new user account (I call mine "Ghost".), then log out of your regular account and log into the new account and try plugging in the USB printer that you're having the issue with to see if it is still a problem.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try resetting the PMU (see this note). I have never seen that USB error message, and I googled around, and it seems like the issue might have to do with the printer's demands on your USB bus power (which is odd, since why would a printer need USB bus power?). Do you have a powered USB hub by any chance (a hub that also plugs into a power outlet itself)? If so, try using the printer on that.

6. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried creating another user, this did not work.

All my other devices work, including other printers.

Could it be that it is too powerful for my USB and that is why it craps out. It has the same effect when I try and connect it to my PC Laptop?

A REAL MYSTERY.

P

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, are you saying your other printers work fine on both Windows and OS X, but this one crashes both Windows and OS X? In that case, yeah... again, if you need to use it, I suspect it will behave better on a powered USB hub than on the USB port of the computer. I think this is a power draw issue, and your printer is "misbehaving" (i.e. not following the USB specification).

8. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, other printers fine. So it must be a 'power draw' problem. Is this fixable or do I need to buy a new printer???

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As I said two or three times now... :p ... it will probably work fine with a powered USB hub (they cost about $5-10). I'd get one and try it. If it doesn't work, return it, and yes, probably get a different printer. :(